Study Load, Add, Drop, Postponement and discontinuation
Study Load Duration and Courses
(a) The maximum study load is 18 credit hours per regular semester and 9 credit hours in the summer session.
(b) The minimum academic load is 12 credit hours per regular semester.
(c) The registered credit hours are decided according to the following:
- A student having a cumulative average of 2.75 or more may register for up to 18 credit hours.
- As an exception, a student who is expected to graduate may register for up to 24 credit hours, if his/her cumulative average is equal to 2.75 or more.
- A student who has a cumulative average of less than 2.75 may register for up to 15credit hours.
- As an exception, a student who is expected to graduate may register for up to 18 credit hours, if his/her cumulative average is less than 2.75.
Add and Drop Courses
• A student, on the approval of his academic advisor, may add one course or more up to the end of the first week of the semester.
• A student, on the approval of his academic advisor, may drop one course or more up to the end of the fourth week of the semester.
• A student can withdraw from the whole semester up to the tenth week of each semester.
• In some exceptional cases and upon recommendation of the Academic Advisor and approval of the Vice Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, a student may withdraw from one or more courses. Approval for withdrawal may be granted on condition that the student has a minimum number of 12 registered credit hours after withdrawal.
Postponement and Discontinuation of Studies
• A student during his university study may apply for a postponement of his studies (for a reason acceptable to the pertinent Faculty Committee) for a period of not more than two successive main semesters (or three separated semesters) and only after finishing one main semester or more with a cumulative average of not less than (2.75). If his cumulative average is less than 2.75, his request will be submitted to the University Admission and Registration Committee.
• If a student stops his studies for one semester without submitting an application for a postponement, his registration will be canceled. The following rules will be taken into consideration;
- If the period of discontinuation is more than two main semesters and for reasons unacceptable to the Admission and Registration Committee, the student's registration will be canceled. However, he may apply to rejoin the university as a fresh student.
- The discontinuation period will not be counted as a part of the period fixed for the completion of an academic degree.
- A student who withdraws during his first semester may apply to rejoin the university as a freshman.